FUNDAMENTALS OF FILM & CONTENT BUNDLE
THURSDAY 7 JULY 2022 | 10.30AM – 3.30PM
THURSDAY 14 JULY 2022 | 10.30AM – 3.30PM
FRIDAY 8 JULY 2022 | 10.30AM – 3.30PM
FRIDAY 15 JULY 2022 | 10.30AM – 3.30PM
Ready to start creating?
Part 1 of the hands on Program will take you through the critical first stages of drafting and actioning a film including finding your message, writing, production design, cinematography and directing. You’ll delve into the genres of Comedy and Drama to illustrate practical applications of leading industry techniques and explore how you might use them to enhance your craft. By the end of the session, you’ll have applied your new knowledge in the creation of a three-scene film AND a short satirical piece.
In this session students will:
- Broaden their understanding on the genre of Drama and how it is crafted practically.
- Understand the concept of embedding a ‘message’ or cause within a narrative film.
- Deepen their understanding of the ideation or storytelling process.
- Learn how best to isolate a key message or cause from which to generate a concept.
- Understand narrative structure and learn to apply it in the formation of their ideas.
- Understand specific practical and technical requirements for narrative film.
- Understand the genres of comedy and satire.
- Learn key satirical tools and how they can be applied.
- Understand the importance of directing and good performance in generating a cohesive film.
- Understand the importance of production design for creating a polished look to their films and establishing continuity.
- Understand how to identify and find core members of their film crew.
In Part 2, you’ll expand your knowledge of the medium of film, taking a look at documentary filmmaking and social media. Kicking off with a masterclass on how to conduct interviews, you’ll learn how to effectively capture factual narrative and apply this to your very own self-taped interview. You’ll also dive deeper into the intricacies of lighting and editing, allowing you to further polish your work.
The program concludes by unpacking the implications of social media content production and how you can best protect and manage yourself and your art online. You’ll finish with an exercise devoted to practicing empowering your voice through digital content.
In this session students will:
- Broaden understanding on the genre of Documentary and how it is crafted practically.
- Deepen and apply knowledge of cinematography and shooting practices to best effect within a given genre.
- Learn how to effectively record sound.
- Learn how to conduct an effective interview for the purposes of storytelling.
- Expand knowledge of the editing process and how techniques and tips can be applied to best effect to fit stylisation and genre.
- Become familiar with the different content creation conventions for various social platforms.
- Learn how to create and manage a message and brand online.
- Learn how to find and engage with a like-minded community online.
- Learn the importance of creating a style or look for your brand that fits its content.
- Learn how to navigate legal obligations and negative commentary safely online and with integrity.
- iPad/iPhone device with iMovie installed OR Android phone or tablet device with Filmora app installed.
- Separate device (e.g., laptop or computer) with Zoom installed on it, to enjoy your livestreamed sessions with StarTime LIVE.
- Tripod (preferable) or something to rest your filming device on to keep it steady.
- Print outs of our script and storyboard templates.
- Paper and pens for notetaking and drafting.
- Watch the Hannah & Charlie Make a Movie web-series prior to the Program. Here is the link